Saturday, January 14, 2012

Sausage Jambalya


You might remember me mentioning a couple of posts ago that one of my resolutions for this year was to cook more! Unfortunately, I know once I go back to school I won't be cooking at all. So, I've been trying to take advantage of the beautiful kitchen, fully stocked pantry, and tons of kitchen gadgets that I have at home while I can (because who knows just how much longer I'll be here)!

Anyway, the other day when I got home from my internship,I was starving! I was looking for something that would be super filling, easy to make, and wouldn't take a lot of time. It was then I remembered this recipe I've made many times before: sausage jambalaya. It's so easy, a novice in the kitchen like myself (or you, perhaps!) can do it. So I would definitely recommend trying this out. Let me know what you think if you do.

Sausage Jambalaya (adopted from an old Family Circle recipe)

Ingredients:
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon garlic
1/2 pound Cajun sausage (or Kielbasa, which is what I used) sliced into coins
1 onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning
1 bay leaf
1 can stewed tomatoes Cajun style
1 can kidney beans (which I forgot of course)
2 cups low sodium chick broth
1 1/2 cups long grain rice
cilantro for garnish (optional)

1. Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil, then sausage, onion, garlic, and pepper. Cook, stirring for 5 minutes or until onion is soft. Stir in seasoning and bay leaf, cook 1 more minute.

2. Add tomatoes, beans, broth, 1 1/2 cups water and rice; bring to a boil, then cover. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer 20 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is absorbed. Remove bay leaf.

That's it! See how easy it is? And doesn't it look delicious? YUM!

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...