Sunday, May 20, 2012

Beginning Life as a College Grad

Yesterday, I graduated college.

Sometimes, I didn't think I would ever see the day. At some points in the semester, I was so buried in homework, so frustrated by everything that I had to manage, that I just wanted to quit. But I didn't. I worked my ass off; taking on three internships, well exceeding the required 124 credits, writing and editing for the student-run newspaper, working for the admissions house giving tours, and writing an 81-page departmental honors paper my senior year.

Before I knew it, the time was up. I've spent the last few weeks applying for jobs, packing up my room, and squeezing in any second of extra time with my friends.

It's been an eventful four years, to say the least. But I don't think they could have been any better. No matter how much of a struggle this adventure was, I wouldn't change a thing. From my acceptance of enrollment, to my decision to write the honors paper, I know everything happened for a reason. Like switching my major! Little known fact, I entered college as a history major with a concentration in secondary education. It wasn't even a year before I realized that my passion was in writing, not teaching in the classroom. Making that change really pushed me outside of my comfort zone, into a fast-paced, deadline driven environment. However, my caring professors never let me falter. I took classes in writing, graphics, photography, and research to gain a more comprehensive understanding of just what I could look forward to in the future.

And yesterday, I finished. I walked confidently across the stage to receive my diploma, and couldn't help but reflect on where the last four years had gone.

Now, my time at college is officially over. I graduated cum laude with a bachelor of arts in communication arts with minors in French and studio art. And now, it's time to prepare for life as a grad in the real world. Bring on student loan payment, and the tireless search for a real career.

Here are a few snapshots that I had to include:


Move-in day my freshman year with my mom. I was so skinny! 


Convocation my freshman year! I remember being very nervous and scared..but it was awesome!


Junior year ring ceremony! Still one of the best purchases I have made.




And senior year.



Convocation my senior year. In comparison to freshman year, I feel like I look so much older!


The president and I right before baccalaureate. 


Baccalaureate with my roommate of 3.5 years. Love her!



The perfect way to spend the last day before graduation? Getting ice cream of course.


C/o of my dad, a super creeper at graduation.


Some of my besties. I could have better friends.


The whole family came. Please note how fabulous of a dresser my mom is!


Probably the only person who will ever put up with me. Love you, Casey.


Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your graduation! I really truly hope this new chapter of your life is full with great experiences and good things, hopefully you will continue blogging now that you will be working!! Once again congratulations and can't wait to see new posts:)
    Btw your mom outfit is gorgeous, love the colors and the shape, it shows style tun in your family!
    Best Wishes
    Tatiana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on all of your honors, awards and hard work!! It looks like you had a beautiful day! And I love how the you have a lanyard around your neck in the second picture, the mark of a freshmen LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I may or may not have teared up a little bit :( so cute

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...