Thursday, May 31, 2012

Nostalgia.



Ever since my graduation a little less than two weeks ago, I've been feeling extremely nostalgic. As I've been unpacking all of my dorm essentials, donating clothing that I haven't worn in years, and organizing all the cards and letters I have received over the past 10 years, how could I not? 

Honestly, I'm the kind of person who has no problem getting rid of most things. If I don't wear something, no matter how much I paid, I repurpose or donate the piece of clothing. My room is almost always spotless, as is my handbag (no receipts!) and car (definitely no water bottles in trash in my brand new one)! I've always been that kind of a person. 

However, as I moved back into my room fully for the first time since the summer after my freshman year, I found myself having a harder time getting rid of things. Suddenly, it seemed as if anything in my possession could spark a dozen different memories, ranging from middle and high school into college.

Like the two seemingly random photos above. To almost anyone else, the contents of the photos would be meaningless. The first, is a pile of old belts and scarves. The second, colorful baubles and costume jewelry.

But not for me.

The sparkly silver sequin belt? An absolute necessity in high school. No matter what the outfit, I could almost always wear my silver sequined belt with it. Or what about the black and white zebra belt? I remember buying that at a Pac Sun outlet while on senior week in 2008 and wearing it for a good portion of the summer before my freshman year of college. As for the jewelry? See the large blue beaded necklace? Let me tell you, that's not just an ordinary $6.90 necklace from Forever 21. I remember wearing that many, many times throughout high school; twirling the beads in my fingers when I was nervous during an exam, or putting it on for a night out with friends.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that clothing (and jewelry and accessories) have so much more important purpose than to JUST cover our bodies. At least, not for me. Whether I wore the piece hundreds of times, twice, or I never even took the tags off, clothing holds so many memories. 

In case you were wondering, I got rid of everything in the above photos (I told you I can let go of things pretty easily)! I just wanted a moment to reminisce. 
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...