Thursday, August 30, 2012

Fresh Tomato Salsa

At my house, my mom and I are constantly trying to get rid of tomatoes. My dad has four huge tomato plants, and he never does anything with them. The tomatoes sit on our counter, or in the fridge, until my mom and I get fed up, and decide to cook. Recently, we've made a lot of tomato-basil soup, inspired by the famous Nordstrom recipe. This week though, I was in the mood for some fresh salsa.

While I already have a chunky tomato salsa recipe on the blog, this one is a little different. The ingredients are more finely chopped, and this is a bit hotter. Either way, both are great. Random fact - I've had this recipe since sixth grade! I got in my home-ec class, and I was never able to part with it.

Fresh Tomato Salsa
Ingredients:
3 medium tomatoes (I used about 13. Some were really little, and some were decent sized. Did I mentioned we're trying to get rid of tomatoes?)
1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 bunch fresh cilantro sprigs
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded
2 teaspoons minced garlic
2 teaspoons sugar
1 juice of lime
kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. Quarter and seed tomatoes. Transfer to bowl. (For this recipe, I finely chopped mine. It's up to you!)

2. Cut the onion in half. With one half, cut into chunks, and throw into the mini chopper. Give the onion a couple of pulses.

3. After you have chopped the onion, cut off the tops of the jalapenos. Cut the jalapenos down the middle, and remove the seeds. Cut the halves of the jalapenos in quarters, and throw into the mini chopper. Give the jalapeno a couple of pulses.

4. Finely chop the cilantro. To the tomatoes, stir in jalapenos, onion, cilantro, garlic, sugar, and lime juice.

5. Season with salt and pepper.

And this is the end result!


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...