Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Never Forget



Shirt: American Eagle
Shorts: J. Crew
Shoes: Sperry
Earrings: Nordstrom Rack
Bracelet: Juicy Couture
Wristlet: Coach
I don't usually do emotional posts on my blog. For the most part, I try to have a positive, upbeat spin on whatever is going on in my life. This is not one of those time. So, if you're not interested on my post about where I was September 11, 2001, feel free to skip reading this post. 
On September 11, 2001, I was in sixth grade. It was an absolutely gorgeous Tuesday - not a cloud was in the sky, and about 70 degrees. Nothing about my morning was any different from any ordinary day until lunchtime. It was then that my grade was informed that we weren't allowed to play outside. Truthfully, I was fairly happy about this since I didn't like going outside. However, while the administration was saying it was because lawn services were cutting the grass, other students were saying it was because bombs were outside. I was very confused, and had no idea what was going on.

In my English class following lunch, I became even more confused. A rapid number of students began to be pulled out of class, and the teachers were all somber and pensive. When school was let out an hour early, I found my older brother in the parking lot and ran home (all the way across the street) with him.

I was shocked to see my parents when I got home -my mom and dad rarely were home before 6 p.m. Plus, my little brother had been pulled out of elementary school early. I remember being jealous that my parents had got my little brother out of school early, but not me or my older brother. Clearly something was wrong, but no one would tell me what was going on.

Watching the news that evening with my parents, I saw the planes fly into the World Train Center, and the Pentagon. I was transfixed and stunned - why would someone fly a plane into a building? Why would someone want to kill thousands of innocent citizens? My parents tried to better explain what happened, but I still couldn't comprehend the situation. In addition, being in close proximity to D.C. meant that my parents (both government employees), knew several people who worked in the Pentagon. It was especially difficult for them to watch, but they wanted us to understand the severity of the attack.

It's hard to believe it's been 11 years since that fateful day, but I remember it like it was yesterday. In comparison, I can barely remember the supposed "important" life events; like my senior prom or my college graduation. So today, I knew I had to wear a patriotic color scheme. It's the easiest way to show my pride for our country.

However, the best way to show our pride is by thanking someone who serves our country. It is because of these countless heroes - whether they be firemen, police officers, or soldiers - that we can live the comfortable lives we have grown accustomed to. Although firemen know that every time they head into a raging inferno they may die, they do it anyway. Likewise, any soldier who enlists in the military knows the extreme danger they are in every day, but they get up and defend our country without complaint.

Today, we must honor these heroes serving us everyday, and remember the lives that were lost that beautiful September morning. May we never forget. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I remember that day too. They actually let us watch it on tv in the class rooms. Very nice post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...