Monday, December 17, 2012

Purple Monochrome



Shirt: Gap
Skirt: J. Crew
Shoes: Minnetonka
Necklace: Kate Spade

I recently purchased this skirt from J. Crew, and was stuck as to how to wear it. Initially, when I put it in my online shopping cart, I had countless of combinations in mind. I knew the bright pop of color this wool mini-skirt provided was going to be a great addition to my dark and dreary winter wardrobe. But as it figures, the moment the package arrived at my house, I couldn't remember any of my previous ideas. So, my new mini hung in the closet up until last week when I finally remembered my first idea.

Um hello, monochrome? Pairing a bright color with neutral colors such as white and black is such a boring option. It works well, of course, but it's just not an interesting or unexpected combination! Hence, today's pairing. 

I have found that monochromatic ensembles looks best when the shades of the color are completely opposite (like a previous look here).  Does anyone remember when JT and Britney Spear wore those matching denim outfits? Okay, I don't think anything could have really helped in that case, but if they had worn dark denim with chambray, their look could have been a little less catastrophic. So, that's why I paired my plum colored mini with a lavender top. Had the pieces been almost the exact same color, I probably would have looked like Barney. To tie my whole look together, I added this chunky bauble necklace to add some texture to my look. Overall, I am beyond pleased how this ensemble turned out!
Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...