Tuesday, July 9, 2013

When life hands you lemons...



...you make lemonade. Or at least, I do. Typically though, I don't drink anything other than water. Well, and a glass of juice in the morning, but that's really it. I don't like soda very much, or other sugared soft drinks. Sometimes though, on the hottest days of summer, I have a hankering for fresh, zesty, lemonade. 

This weekend was unbelievably hot. On Saturday, I took a little trip down to Mount Vernon with one of my friends from college, and had the best time. However, after our excursion, we were both so thirsty! When we headed out to lunch afterwards, we both had two large glasses of lemonade. So, on Sunday while grocery shopping, I got the great idea that I was going to make a big pitcher. It was super simple, and tasted so much better than the Minute Maid I used to drink with my dad as a kid. Following this recipe, here's how I made it:

You'll need:
1 1/2 cups of sugar
3 cups of cold water
1 1/2 cups of fresh lemon juice (this was about 10 lemons for me)
the zest of one lemon

1. In a medium size saucepan over high heat, bring the sugar and 2 cups of water to a boil, stirring the sugar until it has dissolved. Boil, uncovered, for five minutes.

2. While it boils, juice your lemons (this is a workout)! Pour the juice of your lemons and the zest of one lemon into your simple syrup, and remove the pan from the heat. Cover, and let it stand for about a half hour.

3. Strain your mixture to get ride of any seeds into a pitcher, and stir in the remaining cup of water. To serve, add ice cubes and lemon slices.

After all your hard work, you'll have this:



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...