Monday, August 26, 2013

Copycat Wendy's Chili


As a kid, my favorite fast-food restaurant was Wendy's. Not McDonalds or Burger King like most kids, no I was the odd-ball who liked Wendy's. And you know, I wasn't even normal enough to get the burger or chicken nugget happy meal. When I went to Wendy's, I got the same thing every time: a plain spicy chicken sandwich, and a cup of chili instead of the French fries, just like my dad did. I always ate the sandwich for dinner, and would save the chili for my next meal. 

Honestly, Wendy's chili is one of my favorite's. And believe me, I've tried A LOT of chili. It's my go-to meal when I don't see anything else I'm in the mood for while out to eat, and it always hits the spot (yup, even in the middle of the summer). Anyway, time after time, I come back to Wendy's. The consistency isn't too thick or too watery, it's chock full of beans (yum!), and it's not overwhelmingly spicy. Topped with shredded cheddar cheese and paired with a side of wheat crackers, you have a perfect easy meal.

When I found this recipe, I wasn't sure it wasn't going to compete with my fast-food favorite. But you know what? It surprised me: it was nearly dead on. However, I can hardly call this a recipe. All you have to do is a brown the beef, and throw everything in the crock pot to cook. Yup, some things in life are really that easy. Here's what you'll need:

Ingredients:
-2 lbs of ground beef
-1 29-oz can of tomato sauce
-1 29-oz can of kidney beans
-1 29-oz can of pinto beans
-1 diced green bell pepper
-1 diced medium onion
-2 diced jalapeno peppers
-1 29-oz can diced tomatoes
-2 teaspoons of cumin
-3 tablespoons chili powder
-1 1/2 teaspoons of black pepper

Instructions:
1. Cook the beef over the stove, and drain off the fat. Add to the crockpot.
2. Drain and rinse your beans, add to the ground beef.
3. Add everything else in the ingredient list into your crockpot.
4. Cook on low for 5-7 hours. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...