Friday, August 30, 2013

Thoughts on kindness.

I had a totally different post planned for today. I was going to write up a super easy, healthy, and delicious avocado and black bean salad I had tried this week (inspired by Pinterest, of course). But not today, I'll save that for next week. I've decided to talk about something different: being kind.

Have you ever thought about just how much your words can hurt someone? Even the strongest of people can be affected, even if it's just slightly, by a verbal attack. Every biting remark, every spitting statement, it always stings. Always.

But you know what? Letting one person's words haunt you day in and day out is like letting poison seep deep in your body. You let that one person be in control of your every thought, your every breath, every second of the day. When there are so many other positive things you can surround yourself with, why would you let that person consume you? Why would you do that to yourself?

I'm so incredibly fortunate that I have such a loving fiancee (yes, I know I haven't publicly admitted it on here, but I'm engaged!) who supports and loves everything about me. He loves all the bits I don't love, he loves all the extra inches of skin of my belly, and he loves me even when I get mad at him. I couldn't be more blessed to have him in my life.

In addition to him, I have the most wonderfully supportive friends and family. People who are there through every good and bad moment in my life. I know at any given time that I can call anyone of them from anywhere, and know I will hear a kind voice on the other end of the line.

I am so incredibly fortunate. So blessed by my great God every single day. I have a roof over my head, have a job that I love, and food in my stomach, not to mention all the people who love and care about me. But you know what? I know there are so many people who don't have the kind of support that I do. Who fend for themselves every day. Single moms who live paycheck to paycheck, just to give their children the best life that they can have. Men and women in our armed forces, who work overseas to protect our country, and may come home to no family or friends. I have such a blessed life.

So the next time you consider spitting out a mean, rude, or hurtful statement, take a moment to reconsider. Remember how much your words can crush people. How your words can push someone on the brink of suicide over the edge. Remember that your words can push someone's anger to the boiling point to kill someone else. Remember that calling the slightly overweight girl on the bus fat may make her an anorexic for the rest of her life. Remember that.

Someone once said, "be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." I advise everyone keep these wise words in mind before you say something even remotely hurtful.

I've decided to let out all the poison that has stayed in me for the past hour in this post, and let it die here. I would like to thank the anonymous commenter who inspired me to write this post. My thoughts were so consuming that I was forced to stop in the middle of my run to just write this entire post on my iPhone. You can call me fat, and you can call me disgusting. Just let it be know that I love myself exactly as I am, and I thank you for reminding me of my strength and blessings. Thank you. Pin It

3 comments:

  1. People are rude and ignorant! You are beautiful. I've been following your blog for a long time and have never commented (I also follow you on Instagram @TeamSagala) but felt compelled too because you need to know what everyone ELSE thinks! I don't get it. You're just a girl sharing her outfits and ideas with the world. Why does someone need to put you down? Kindness definitely matters and I'm so glad you posted about it. For YEARS strangers used to comment on my weight and make fun of me for being fat...from the time I was 12 and on. I shaped up quite a bit since then but I'll never forget how that feels. So. You go on, girl! You are fantastic and don't let anyone else tell you differently!

    -Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. keep on keepin on lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so beautiful Katrina, made me a little teary. Lol. You are so beautiful and kind and strong and there are so many other wonderful words out there that I could use to describe you and they still wouldn't be enough to really say what I mean. I love you so much my friend and I will always be one of the kind voices on the other end of the phone line. <3

    ~N

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...