Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Sweet Potato Cupcakes with Marshmallow Frosting


I'm a big fan of cupcakes. While I'm fully aware that they've been out since about 2011 and cronuts are much more of a "thing", I still love every last crumb of them. Then, when I found out my office was doing a cupcake bake off last Friday, I was ecstatic to participate! I would be able to finally try this recipe I've had pinned forever, without having to eat all of them myself. 

Overall, I found this recipe to be relatively easy. They cooked well, and I only made a slight modification to the original cupcake recipe. Read below to check it out!

Ingredients:

For cupcakes:
-2 cups all purpose flour
-2 tsp. of baking powder
-1/2 tsp. of baking soda
-1/4 tsp. of salt
-1 tsp. of cinnamon
-2 sticks of unsalted butter, softened
-1 1/2 cups of dark brown sugar
-3 eggs
-1 15 oz. can of sweet potato chunks
-6 tbsps. of maple syrup
-1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a cupcake pan with liners.

2. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Whisk with a fork, and set aside.

3. In your stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar on medium speed, until light and fluffy (about three minutes). Beat in the eggs one at a time, just until combined.

4. Remove sweet potato from can, and mash the chunks until smooth and well combined. Add to the mixture with maple syrup and vanilla extract. Bring down the mixer so it's on low speed, and slowly combine the dry ingredients with the wet mixture.

5. Fill cupcake liners about two thirds of the way full, and bake for 18 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through to ensure they are cooked evenly. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting.

For frosting:
-4 egg whites
-1 cup of sugar
-1/4 tsp cream of tartar
-1 tsp. vanilla extract

1. Combine egg whites, sugar, and cream of tartar in a bowl set over a double broiler. Whisk the egg mixture completely over simmering water until the sugar has completely dissolved, and the mixture is hot (about 5 minutes).

2. Pour the mixture into your mixer fitted with a whisk attached. Start on a slow speed, gradually increasing until medium high speed. Add the vanilla as the mixture thickens. Mix until stiff, glossy peaks form (about 5 minutes). Empty the frosting into a piping bag, and ice away!
Pin It

3 comments:

  1. Did you win? They sound yummy.

    -B

    ReplyDelete
  2. How many cupcakes does this recipe make? What was your modification out of curiousity?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello - I believe I was able to make about 18, with this recipe. But you could probably get more if you made them a little smaller. My modification was that I used canned sweet potatoes, whereas the original recipe uses fresh. I think that it saved a lot of time, and effort, without sacrificing taste!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...