Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Pin Tested: Pumpkin Cake with Cider Caramel Sauce


When I first saw this pin, and saw that it included pumpkin, apple cider, and cinnamon, I couldn't contain my excitement. Three of my favorite things combined to make one tasty cake? Count me in! However, I was a little skeptical about how good this recipe was going to be based on the amount of times it had been pinned. Is that weird? I am always skeptical when I see that some photo has been repinned 50,000 times, but no one has ever commented and said how it tasted, or anything. Maybe it's just me.

Anyway, I decided to give the recipe a try one cold Saturday afternoon. Despite following the instructions, my cake was not perfect. I cooked it for 30 minutes, as the recipe stated, and pulled it out of the oven precisely when the timer went off. I let the cake cool for about a half hour, and when I returned, I found that the middle had completely sunk in. I did a quick Google search to see if my cake could be saved by popping it back in, but forums claimed my cake would turn into a brick. It was my fault entirely for not checking the center with a toothpick, but it looked cooked to me! Long story short - I would recommend baking this for about 40 minutes. Otherwise, you'll be stuck just eating the edge pieces like I did!

Here's what you'll need:

Pumpkin Cake

-1 cup sugar
-1 1/2 cup flour
-1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
-1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
-1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
-1/2 tsp. salt
-3/4 cup oil
-1 can pumpkin
-2 eggs

Cider Caramel Sauce 
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1 tbsp. cornstarch
-2/3 cup apple cider
-2 tbsp. heavy cream (I used milk, which worked fine)
-1 tbsp. butter
-pinch of salt

1. For the cake, combine all dry ingredients in a stand mixer until mixed well.

2. Add oil, pumpkin, and eggs. Beat until combined.

3. Pour into a greased 9x13 cake pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 minutes.

4. For the sauce, whisk together brown sugar and cornstarch in a saucepan.

5. Add cider, milk or cream, butter, and salt. Cook over medium heat, whisking the sauce constantly until bubbles form around the edges of the pan, or about 4 minutes.

6. Reduce heat to low, and allow the sauce to thicken.

Drizzle the sauce over your cake, and enjoy! Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...