Friday, January 24, 2014

Creamy Biscuit Pot Pie


Sunday dinner is the only meal all week that I go out of my way to prepare a nice, sit-down style meal. The rest of the week, my fiance and I usually fend for ourselves by eating leftovers, ordering a pizza, or making sandwiches or soup. There's something about Sunday nights though; as a kid, I remember it was the only night that almost everyone sat down for dinner. So, it's something I am trying to my best to continue to with as an adult.

I'm constantly looking for new recipes, as my fiance is super picky and hard to please. As usual, while browsing Pinterest recently, I found this recipe for biscuit topped chicken pot pie. Suddenly, I felt ravenous. Chicken pot pie is the perfect comfort food for this cold weather, and so filling. Last weekend, I finally had all the ingredients I needed on hand, so I got to work. I was surprised to say that it turned out so well! Overall, it wasn't very hard to make, and it was absolutely delicious. Plus, my fiance loved it, so I know this recipe is a keeper! Here's what you'll need to make your own:

Ingredients

For the biscuits:
-2 cups flour
-2 teaspoons baking powder
-1 teaspoon sugar
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-4 tablespoons unsalted butter
-3/4 cup buttermilk

For the filling:
-2 tablespoons unsalted butter
-2 cloves garlic, minced
-1 small onion, diced
-3 carrots, peeled and diced
-2 ribs celery, diced
-1/3 cup flour
-2 cups chicken broth
-1 1/2 cups milk
-1/2 teaspoon thyme
-kosher salt and pepper to taste
-3 1/2 cups shredded chicken
-1/2 cup frozen peas

Instructions

1. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside.

2. For the biscuits, in a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Add the cubes of the cold butter, and work in using your fingers until the mixture feels like coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk, and stir using a rubber spatula until dough forms.

3. On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough until it comes together. With a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 10 by 7 inch rectangle, about an inch thick. Cut out 6-8 rounds using a cookie cutter. Place biscuits on the baking sheet, and set aside in the fridge. 


4. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray.

5. For the filling, melt butter in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the garlic, onion, carrots, and celery, and cook. Stir occasionally until the vegetables are tender, about 4 minutes. Whisk in the flour, until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Whisk in the broth, milk, and thyme. Cook, whisking constantly until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in the chicken and peas, season with salt and pepper to taste.

6. Add the filling to prepared baking dish. Bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, top with prepared biscuits, and bake until the tops are golden brown, an additional 12-13 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes, and enjoy!




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...