Friday, February 28, 2014

101 in 1001: February 2014


Boy, did February fly by quickly! I know it's the shortest month of the year, but I just can't believe March is just right around the corner. Wasn't it just New Year's? Maybe it's the extreme cold weather this year - it still feels like the middle of winter, instead of nearing the end.

Considering how short the month was, I am happy to say I was able to accomplish quite a bit on my list of 101 things to do in 1001 days. As promised, here is my monthly update for February. 


11. Read 20 new books. (WildDark PlacesMaze Runner)


I remember back in middle/high school, I was an extremely fast reader. I could typically finish a book in about or day or so; granted, what I was reading was definitely a lot shorter and easier to read. Anyway, now that I have a job, and somewhat of a life, I can only read about a book a week or so. One of my goals with this challenge was not only to read new kinds of books, but to get close to my old speed! This month, I read Wild by Cheryl Strayed, Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, and The Maze Runner by James Dashner. All very different in style, but they have one thing in common - they will all be made into movies this year! I really enjoyed Dark Places and The Maze Runner, but Wild just wasn't my speed.



I was busy in the kitchen this month! I was really excited to try a bunch of new recipes, and enjoy leftovers (honestly, the best thing about cooking for really only one person). Of everything that I made, I think my favorites were the queso dip, and the avocado chicken salad.

28. Inspire someone else to write a list.
I knew this one could be pretty easy, as long as I could find the right kind of person. While at dinner with one of my friends from college, I was pretty easily able to talk her into it. She's chronicling her adventures on her blog here.

45. Try five new restaurants. (The V Virginia Eatery and Brew house)
This one is actually pretty difficult for me, as the immediate area around me is surrounded by chain restaurants, which are in no way being included. However, I was happy to find a new restaurant that's local to me and that I would be willing to frequent again.


I created a Yelp account back in the spring of 2013, and never contributed anything other the occasional review every couple of months or so. I added this option to make better use of my account, and keep track of the good and bad experiences I've had with all kind of establishments.

52. Leave a 100 percent tip.

I've never left an 100 percent tip before, and I think it's a really awesome thing to do. In this instance, it wasn't much. But my fiance and I were having milkshakes at this diner on a Saturday night, and there was hardly anyone there other than us and our kind waitress. It felt like the right time and place to cross this one off my list, and I'm so glad! I would love to do it again - it made me feel so good when I left.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...