Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Soup


I love slow cooker recipes. Many require little to no real cooking, don't cost very much, and provide me at least a months worth of meals. When I found this one for tomato basil soup, I knew I would have to try it. It's my favorite thing to order when I dine at Nordstrom Cafe, so I was dying for a recipe that I could replicate at home. 

While this one wasn't quite the same, it was still absolutely delicious - I would definitely make it again. It's silky smooth, and it (surprisingly) packed a strong punch of heat with the red pepper flakes. Topped with some freshly grated Parmesan and finely chopped basil, this soup pairs perfectly with a grilled cheese.

Ingredients
-3 tbsp olive oil
-3 large carrot, peeled and finely diced
-2 medium sweet onions, finely diced
-4 garlic gloves, peeled and left whole
-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
-1 tbsp salt
-3 28 oz. cans whole peeled tomatoes
-1 qt chicken broth
-10 basil leaves (more for garnish)
-freshly grated Parmesan (optional)

Instructions
1. Combine all ingredients in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours, until vegetables are soft.

2. Allow the soup to cool for at least an hour. Then, puree in small batches (2 cups or so at a time), in a blender until very smooth. Serve immediately, or transfer back to the slow cooker and keep on low until guests arrive.
Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I love this soup, I made it a ton over the winter! Also, I want to win us these awesome planners and so I am sharing this contest with you via social media :)

    http://shullfamily.blogspot.com/2014/06/erin-condren-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...